Suspect’s Mother Warned Police of Missing Guns Before Mosque Attack

Two gunmen aged 17 and 18 carried out a  shooting attack at a mosque in the southern Californian city of San Diego on Monday, killing three men and then themselves.

The shooting is being investigated as a hate crime, with the two suspects reported by police to have engaged in "generalized hate rhetoric."

 Emergency vehicles and other cars lined up near the mosque

The shooting triggered a large police deploymentImage: Mike Blake/REUTERS

What happened in the attack?

Police said the shooting at the mosque was preceded by a call by the mother of one of the shooters to police in the morning saying that the boy had run away with her weapons and vehicle and that she feared he was suicidal.

As police were searching for the boy, additionally alarmed by information that he was dressed in camouflage and had a companion, reports arrived of a shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego, some 15 kilometers (9 miles) from the city center. 

When police arrived, more shots were fired a few blocks away.

The shooters were then found dead with apparently self-inflicted gunwounds in a vehicle stopped in the middle of a road nearby, according to San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl.

Wahl said no officers fired their weapons at the scene.

 Group of police seen from the back

Police stood guard as emergency workers attended the sceneImage: Mike Blake/REUTERS

'Heroic' security guard among the victims

Wahl said a security guard at the mosque was among the three people killed in the attack and that his response had helped prevent more deaths.

"His actions were heroic and he undoubtedly saved lives today," Wahl said.

The identities of the other two victims were not immediately clear.

The Islamic center also houses a school, but its director, Imam Taha Hassane, said none of the students was harmed.  

"We have never experienced tragedy like this before," Hassane said.

"And at this moment all that I can say is, sending our prayers and standing in solidarity with all the families in our community here," he said.

Hassane said the center promoted interfaith relations and that a group of non-Muslims had been visiting it earlier on Monday to learn more about Islam.

Scott Wahl in front of several microphones

Police Chief Scott Wahl held a press conference after the shootingImage: Mike Blake/REUTERS

Hate crime investigation

Wahl told reporters that police were, for the moment, "actively investigating this as a hate crime," saying that there "was definitely hate rhetoric that was involved." 

New York Mayor Zohran Mamdani, who is the first Muslim mayor of a major American city, said the attack was "an apparent act of anti-Muslim violence."

"Islamophobia endangers Muslim communities across this country," he posted on X, adding that New York police were boosting deployments to mosques "out of an abundance of caution."

US President Donald Trump said the shooting was a "terrible situation."

State Governor Gavin Newsom also voiced dismay at the attack.

 "Worshippers anywhere should not have to fear for their lives," he wrote on X.

"Hate has no place in California, and we will not tolerate acts of terror or intimidation against communities of faith," he said, adding, "To the San Diego Muslim community: California stands with you."

Mohamed is a dedicated editor and content contributor responsible for publishing engaging articles and updates on the website. With a passion for delivering accurate and high-quality content, Mohamed ensures that every post is informative, well-structured, and valuable to readers. His work focuses on maintaining content quality, improving user experience, and keeping the website updated with fresh and relevant information.

Related Posts

Riley Keough Finds a Stylish Way Around Cannes’ Strict Dress Code in Sheer Red Carpet Ensemble

Phil Collins makes rare public appearance months after revealing devastating health issues Phil Collins made a rare public appearance in London over the weekend. The drummer’s ex-wife Jill…

‘Stormbound’ review: A gripping IMAX spectacle that plunges into the eye of the storm

Park Chan-Wook Western ‘Brigands Of Rattlecreek’, With McConaughey, Butler, Pascal And Tang Wei, Selling To Warner Bros’ Clockwork Out Of Cannes Market Cannes film festival jury president Park…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *